It is again that time of the year you spend money!. We had finally bought a PandaBoard and some microcontroller stuff with the hope to materialise some projects in the near future.
I've finally played a little bit with my Optimus 3D phone. Actually I had played one month ago, but I haven't had time to write about this till now. For the time being I had just installed the SDK, run the samples and taken a quick look at the code.
As you can imagine, if you get an stereo camera you start to shot stereo photos. Then you have to share them with some other people and you realise that those side by side jpegs (.jps format) does not look that nice in a normal laptop.
So I wrote a very simple program named sbs_proc (Side By Side Processor). The program accepts a single option and them a bunch of files to convert. The current available options are:
We are not making too many releases or updating this blog very often, but picoFlamingo keeps going on, under the hood. Some brief notes on what has been recently added and will be available soon with the release of picoFlamingo 0.4.2.
Our LG Optimus3D Speed has finally arrived!. Autostereoscopic screen, stereo camera and a powerful OMAP4 1GHz dual core processor... that's a lot more than our PhotoMint concept :).
A little bit more voice commanding with picoFlamingo, this time using CMU PocketSphinx and featuring multi-language support, that is, dynamically switching between different language at run-time. This feature makes picoFlamingo the first presentation solution for international organisations as UN or EU... just kidding :). A video demonstration after the break
picoFlamingo "The Cracking Egg" source code is available for download!. A new version of the user manual is also available as well as our current Android Remote Control work in progress. Now you can try it on your preferred device. For the time being we have seen it running OK on Beagle, OMAP ZoomII and OMAP4 Blaze!
Press HERE to download them, or visit:
Yes, thanks to NetKitty and the S2 Bluetooth Terminal, I can send commands to picoFlamingo directly from my G1 phone. In principle the BT Chat example available from the Android SDK should also work, but, at this point, I'm stuck with Android 1.5 on my G1 and the RFComm Bluetooth sockets are not available on that version.
I looked to the different solutions in the wikipedia page and I though than that was actually one of the "semantic problems" computers does not face very well. So I spend sometime thinking about this and my conclusion was that the solution will depend on the intended use of the classes in a given application or model.
Then I'd got the idea of using AOP and dynamic inheritance to implement the semantics for a given application as an orthogonal feature, keeping the class hierarchy as isolated as possible. In other words, to extend a given model with aspects that encapsulates the semantics behind it.
So, I tried to implement this idea using GNU/EDMA
It's been a long time since my last entry. We did some stuff in the way hoping it comes soon the result...
Going to the point, as the title says, we have collaborated in another issue of OR the Techie Spanish magazine. This is issue 5 so congratulations from here!
If you speak Spanish, or you can live with automatic translations, take a look to this open magazine, Occam's Razor. The lastest number includes an article about Open Hardware, featuring BeagleBoard and PandaBoard projects, and several other Open Hardware projects.
VRPN is a great library to interface to a lot of input devices commonly used on Virtual Reality applications. From magnetic trackers to datagloves, the list of supported devices is quite long.
So, why do not use a BeagleBoard with a wifi interface as a VRPN server?. That could be very useful as the beagle is pretty small, has low power consumption (so it could run on batteries if needed) and enough CPU power to deal with most of the input devices supported by VRPN.
Our current simple-alpha-version of Wendy is available for download!. Wendy is a simple SDL application used to prototype our Pervasive Widgets (AKA Hermits).
You can download the source code from here. You will need the SDL, SDL_image and SDL_ttf development packages to compile it..
Here is the README for this version 0.1. It has been tried (not really tested) on x86 linux (Ubuntu), BeagleBoard, OMAP Zoom2 and Openmoko Freerunner :)
In our first demonstration introducing our Pervasive Widgets (the HERMITs), we just used the events on our SDL application (Wendy) to detect the user activity. However that is not very convenient if we want to use proper widgets in our devices, so we need to look for a more transparent way to detect user activity.
As we are running an X-server the XScreensaver extensions are a good option for that. What we want is to be able to detect when there is some user activity, but we do not want to get events every time user press a key or touch the screen... we want them only if that didn't happen for a while